International Business Times
â€˜Hocus Pocusâ€™ Fun Facts And Trivia: 15 Things You May Not Have Known About The Halloween Movie
BY AMANDA REMLING
10/03/16 AT 10:56 AM
Itâ€™s not Halloween unless youâ€™ve watched â€œHocus Pocusâ€ about a dozen times! The 1993 Disney film, which starred Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy, is a cult classic and airs multiple times on TV throughout the month of October. Fans know every line by heart â€” but what about facts and trivia? Check out 15Â things you may not have known about â€œHocus Pocusâ€
- â€œHocus Pocusâ€ was set on Halloween and is a go-to movie to watch in October, but it was actually released in theaters on July 16.
- Actor Jason Marsden voiced the cat, Thackery Binx. Right after the movie came out he landed the role of DJ Tannerâ€™s boyfriend, Nelson, on â€œFull House.â€ Heâ€™s since had a successful career as a voice actor, landing roles in â€œInvader ZIM,â€ â€œHouse of Mouse,â€ â€œKim Possible,â€ â€œThe Fairly OddParents,â€ â€œThe Legend of Korraâ€ and â€œTransformers: Rescue Bots.â€
- Sean Murray didnâ€™t have a lot of screen time as human Thackery, but he gets plenty of screen time now. Heâ€™s starred on the CBS drama â€œNCISâ€ as Timotthy McGee since 2003.
- Leonardo DiCaprio was offered the role of Max before Omri Katz landed the part. Rosie Oâ€™Donnell was linked to the role of Mary Sanderson before Kathy Najimy was cast.
- If you visit Planet Hollywood in Orlando, Florida, you can get a look at some memorabilia from the movie. One of the stone statues of Bette Midler as Winifred is on display, as well as the spell book.
- Thackeryâ€™s little sister Emily was portrayed by a young actress named Amanda Shepherd. â€œHocus Pocusâ€ is her only acting credit. Sheâ€™s now a real estate agent in Malibu, California. You can see a photo of her HERE.
- YouTube star Jodie-Amy Rivera was previously given credits for the role of Emily, however it was a mix up. According to Cosmopolitan she told a radio host that she had a small role in â€œHocus Pocus,â€ which started the confusion. She actually had a non-speaking role as one of the modern day Salem kids being lured to the Sanderson house by Sarah Sandersonâ€™s song.
- â€œCome Little Childrenâ€ was originally believed to be a poem written by Edgar Allen Poe. It was actually written by songwriter Brock Walsh.
- Alisonâ€™s home is actually a museum that you can enter. The building is called The Ropes Mansion, and itâ€™s located at 318 Essex St. in Salem, Massachusetts. It was originally built in 1768.
- The Ropes Mansion is rumored to be the â€œmost hauntedâ€ place in Salem. Nathaniel Ropes, an unpopular judge, died of smallpox in the house. His wife, Abigail, burned to death in the home a few years later. Itâ€™s said that they haunt the house.
- Max and Daniâ€™s house isnâ€™t actually in Salem. The real house is located at 4 Ocean Ave. in Beverly, Massachusetts. Itâ€™s about 10 minutes away from Salem. According to Mental Floss, the house is estimated to be worth $341,941.
- A lot of the exterior shots were filmed in Salem, where the movie takes place. However, the interior shots were filmed on a backlot in Hollywood, California.
- The Griswold house from â€œChristmas Vacationâ€ can be seen in the background when Max, Allison and Dani are celebrating outside of the high school. The house is not really in Salem, but a prop house in the Warner Bros. backlot. A total of 12 homes appear on the fictional Blondie Street.
- The moths that came out of Billy Butchersonâ€™s mouth were reportedly real.
- â€œHocus Pocusâ€ is airing on Freeform 10 times during their 2016 â€œ13 Nights of Halloweenâ€programming event.