Why You Can’t Find Any Hello Dolly Footage Online
by Billy Masters
Our brief “Ask Billy” question comes from Justin: “Thanks for the video of Angels in America from London. But, here’s one better—Bette Midler in Hello, Dolly! Nobody has any footage. If anyone can get it, you can.”
I can, and do. Many people have attempted to film clips of Bette Midler in “Dolly.” Most have had their phones confiscated. And those who posted footage online found it quickly removed due to the vehemence of pit bull producer Scott Rudin. There has been an embargo on any clips of Bette in the role—the rationale being, if you wanna see her, spend $600 and buy a ticket. But, the wait is over. There are a couple of tantalizing videos on BillyMasters.com . Well, the word “video” might be a misnomer. Yes, there are fleeting images of Midler, but most of the time she’s onstage, the spotlight is so bright it almost completely washes her out. Still, you can hear her perfectly and see glimpses of a ghostly Divine Miss M on our website.
When our answer to an “Ask Billy” question is “You Bette,” it’s definitely time to end yet another column. Your best bet is to check out BillyMasters.com, a site I’m sure Scaramucci is familiar with. You can send your questions to me at Billy@BillyMasters.com and I promise to get back to you before Patinkin stars in a radical reworking of A Raisin in the Sun! So, until next time, remember:One man’s filth is another man’s bible.
- Select list of winners of the 2017 Tony Awards (bostonherald.com)
- Here’s Everything You Need to Know About the 2017 Tony Awards (time.com)
- Outsiders Make Good As ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ Wins Big At Tonys (dfw.cbslocal.com)
- BetteBack April 23, 1975: Vito Russo Interviews Bette Midler (bootlegbetty.com)
- The Highs and Lows of the 2017 Tony Awards (cookiesandsangria.com)