Mister D: Let the BetteHeads become the healthiest of fans by having a little spring cleaning. This findings in this research is gross, and also proves girls can be piggier than men (Ha Ha) for once, so everybody take some time out TODAY to clean your keyboard…no BetteHead should be keyboarding with old toilet fingers! 🙂 I hope you enjoyed this article as much as I did (bleck!):
- Research by the University of Arizona last year found the average office desktop harboured 400 times more bacteria than the average office toilet seat.
- They also found that, compared to men, on average women have three to four times the amount of germs in, on and around their work area.
- Dr Wilson, a consultant microbiologist at University College London Hospital, told BBC Radio 5 Live sharing a keyboard could be passing on illnesses among office workers.
- “If you look at what grows on computer keyboards, and hospitals are worse, believe it or not, it’s more or less a reflection of what’s in your nose and in your gut,” he said.
- “Should somebody have a cold in your office, or even have gastroenteritis, you’re very likely to pick it up from a keyboard.”
- Consumer group “Which” said one of the causes of dirty keyboards was users eating lunch at their desk, with crumbs encouraging the growth of bacteria.
- Poor personal hygiene, such as not washing hands after going to the toilet, could also be to blame, it said.
CLEANING YOUR KEYBOARD
- Dust and food crumbs should be shaken out of keyboards and they should be wiped with a soft, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth. They should also be disinfected with alcohol wipes.