[Bette Midler on smoking for Sue Mengers role] The cigarettes nearly killed me. I answer the phone now and people calling think it’s my husband. And my allergies in that theater – it’s a very old theater. And the hairspray! I never used hairspray. And the wigs! Let’s not talk about the fricking wigs, that was such a saga. But the cigarettes were the hardest. When I made “The Rose”, I did smoke, I smoked for six months, and years later I tried a cigarette again and it made me sick for two weeks. These are herbal cigarettes, but smoke is smoke. I was thrilled, though, when I finally got the timing down to smoke two at once – a cigarette in one hand and a joint in the other. That was Sue.
- Bette Midler on Sue Mengers who thought of her clients as family: (bootlegbetty.com)
- Bette Midler [her reaction of Broadway audiences] I (bootlegbetty.com)
- Bette Midler On What She’d Really Like To Do After The Rose: (bootlegbetty.com)
- Bette Midler On What She Might Do After The Rose: (bootlegbetty.com)
- Bette Midler On The Album Bathhouse Betty: (bootlegbetty.com)