17 Awkward Moments When Celebs Tried And Failed To Do “Regular People” Things
By Kristen Harris
June 23, 2023
Wealth and fame are often coupled with the privilege of having other people do basic tasks, such as cooking and cleaning, for you. However, living in that bubble — especially if you grew up there — can lead to some surprises in the “real world.” Take these 17 Times Celebs Failed At Everyday Tasks
17 Times Celebs Failed At Everyday Tasks
1. While trying to follow an avocado toast recipe, Gayle King shared an Instagram video of her egg that had fallen on the floor and cracked. She said, “Oh, snap. Apparently, eggs roll when you put them on the counter. I just put the egg there. Not at the edge. Went to get something out of the refrigerator. I turned around. Egg is on the floor. Is everyone aware of this?
“Oh, snap. Apparently, eggs roll when you put them on the counter.
“Cooking — so much fun!” she concluded.
2. When Selena Gomez went to the gas station in 2013, she accidentally parked with her tank too far from the pump. Turning to the paparazzi, she politely asked, “Will one of you fix my car for me?”
As one volunteer turned her car around, she turned to another and joked, “A day in the life.”
She then thanked the photographer who helped her.
You can watch the full video here.
3. During another stop at the gas station in 2013, Selena Gomez treated the nozzle like a water hose, spilling gasoline all over the ground on the way to her tank.
4. When it comes to pumping her own gas, Oprah Winfrey is in the same boat as Selena. In 2018, she told E! News, “I wouldn’t know what to do.”
5. On The Ellen Degeneres Show, Oprah and Ellen both admitted that they had no idea what their ATM pin numbers were.
Ellen hadn’t been to the bank since “a long, long time ago,” but Oprah had recently gone for the first time since 1988.
She said, “[I went] to deposit a million dollars…I wanted to go there just to do it…I stood in line, just to do it.”
6. In 2014, Taylor Swift wore her shirt backwards at a New York Knicks game. In reply to a fan’s Tumblr post describing the shirt as “reversible,” she said, “I think that they’re trying to say politely is…I wore the shirt wrong, didn’t I?” Years later, in a Twitter thread, another fan pointed out’s that Taylor actually has a pattern of wearing her clothes backwards.
In 2017, Taylor’s merch website sold a shirt similar to her red turtleneck, but, unlike the original, it was designed to be worn with the cut-out in the front.
7. On Instagram, aspiring chef Brooklyn Peltz Beckham shared a picture of himself and his puppy cooking spaghetti bolognese with a unique ingredient — a wine cork added to the pot. Defending himself from criticism, he posted a Naples Daily News article about adding wine cork to octopus (not spag bol) to ensure a more tender dish.
Professional Italian chef Barbara Pollastrini fact-checked Brooklyn, telling Insider, “The problem is that people trust this food influencer and are without any knowledge. The only way to have a fantastic ragù is to cook it for at least three hours. This is the only way to have soft meat.”
8. In his book, The TB12 Method: How to Achieve a Lifetime of Sustained Peak Performance, Tom Brady claimed that drinking a lot of water (rather than wearing sunscreen) prevented him from getting sunburned. He wrote, “These days, even if I get an adequate amount of sun, I won’t get a sunburn, which I credit to the amount of water I drink. I always hydrate afterward, too, to keep my skin from peeling.”
Board-certified dermatologist Dr. Sourab Choudhry called out this misinformation, telling NBC News, “This is fake news. The only thing that prevents sunburn is minimizing time spent in the sun during peak hours (10 a.m.–2 p.m.), and wearing sun-protective clothing and sunscreen…Being hydrated has nothing to do with getting a sunburn, or whether your skin peels.”
9. In 2011, Charlie Sheen thought he was sending someone his phone number to Justin Bieber in a private message, but he accidentally posted it to his public Twitter feed instead.
10. On an episode of The Kardashians, Kendall Jenner decided to cut a cucumber because “it’s pretty easy.” Refusing her mother’s offer to ask her private chef to do it for her, the model took a very confusing approach to chopping.
The scene went viral as people mocked her, but Kendall played along. Retweeting a viral post about it, she simply added, “Tragic!”
11. On a 2015 episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Kylie Jenner was preparing to move into her own house. Her sisters, Kim and Khloé Kardashian, quizzed her on the responsibilities of living on your own, and she revealed that she didn’t know how to do her own laundry or iron.
To help her out, Kim and Khloé taught her about some of the necessary costs of being a homeowner, like earthquake insurance and HOA fees.
Kim said, “Here is the list. Mom’s not gonna do all of this for you.”
In her interview, Kylie said, “Kim and Khloé have made me aware that it’s a little tough to own a home, and I really hope I’m not in over my head.”
12. In 2009, an interviewer told Mariah Carey that “pay bill” was on his to-do list. In reply, she asked, “Pay who? Bill who?” After he clarified he meant his electricity bill, she insisted that there was no such thing.
He replied, “You feel like you do [get electricity free], but you don’t. You don’t know the money’s coming out.”
13. On The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, Kathy Hilton attempted to help her sister, Kyle Richards, clean up broken glass by using a grill brush to sort of scrub at the floor.
As their costar Erika Jayne jumped in to help with the actual broom, Kathy asked her sister, “Why don’t you have an organizer for these things?”
14. In 2022, Zendaya attempted to cook for herself but ended up in the hospital getting stitches on her finger. Sharing a picture of the injury on her Instagram story, she wrote, “See now…this is why I don’t cook.”
Sharing her posts on his own story, Darnell Appling, her best friend/assistant, said, “Never a dull moment with @zendaya no pun intended ????? ? Dear God, help me keep this little heffa safe cause she clumsy as hell ?????.”
15. When Katherine Schwarzenegger tried to make a Bagel Bite for her husband, Chris Pratt, she accidentally burnt it to a crisp. Sharing a picture on Instagram, Chris said, “I honestly simply cannot imagine what went wrong here. Pretty simple. Microwave. Two minutes. Maybe she thought it said two hours. But I want to commend her for her effort. This is a big step, babe. Proud of you.”
He also said, “Proud of my darling for trying to cook tonight. Did it go well? No. No it did not. Not at all. To quote Rocky Balboa, ‘It’s not how many times you get knocked down, it’s how many times you get up… and keep moving forward.'”
16. During the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, Bette Midler tweeted, “I never knew my appliances as well as I’m starting to know them. So grateful to #Kenmore and #Maytag. This is no joke. I salute housekeepers around the globe, doing your best to keep your families well, safe and alive.”
17. And finally, in a comedy special, Kathy Griffin said that, while she was hanging out with Cher and watching TV, she got hungry and suggested they order pizza. Cher replied, “How do you order a pizza? I’m Cher! I don’t know how to order a fucking pizza!” However, Kathy didn’t know what to do either. She told the audience, “If you think I’ve ordered my own pizza in the last 10 years, oh no!”
“I have not ordered my own pizza since Suddenly Susan Season 2, ‘The Camping Episode,'” she said.