Mister D: Nice to see someone place Then She Found Me as their number one choice at the box office with all these summer blockbusters filling the theaters. Remember the DVD will be released Sept 4th so pre-order now.
Oregon’s Mid-Willamette Valley
By Ron Cowan
Ron Cowan’s Five Faves: Movies in local theaters
1. “Then She Found Me,” actress Helen Hunt doubles as director (and also helped adapt) this story about a 39-year-old teacher (Hunt) dealing with divorce, new romance and a birth mother, the irrepressible Bette Midler, who suddenly invades her life. It’s told with realism and subtlety, with fine performances by the cast.
2. “WALL-E,” Pixar comes up with another animated winner in this Chaplinesque tale of a humble trash compactor on a future, toxic earth who finds love with a sleek visiting robot. It takes a journey into space to a spaceship inhabited by corpulent humans for our hero to save his romance.
3. “Son of Rambow,” a clever English comedy set in the ’80s at a public school, where a young fan of the movie’s Rambo decides to make his own film with the help of the school bad boy, a mission that helps them bond although it runs against the a family’s strict religion. A visiting French student who fancies himself a star creates complications.
4. “Wanted,” an improbable and illogical but still entertaining action epic, well-acted by James McAvoy as an office drone recruited by a gorgeous assassin, Angelina Jolie, under the pretext of avenging his father’s death, to join The Weavers, a secret clan headed by Morgan Freeman. The action sequences are amazing.
5. “Iron Man,” still the action movie to beat this summer, with a resurgent Robert Downey Jr. as an arms merchant turned superhero when he invents a super-powered metal suit after being captured by terrorists. Jeff Daniels matches Downey’s performance as a bald bad guy with an even bigger metal suit.