5 things you didnâ€™t know:
– Commissioned and premiered The Whoâ€™s rock opera â€œTommyâ€ in 1971 starring Bette Midler, who sang the Acid Queen song.
– Set studios (located in Renton) has also constructed doors for the monorail, sets for the video game â€œMyst,â€ and the current â€œMaking of Avatarâ€ exhibit at Experience Music Project.
– Has one of the largest programs for arts patrons in their 20s and 30s in the nation, with 600-plus members.
– When its signature work, â€œDer Ring des Nibelungen,â€ premiered in 2009, audiences came from 49 states, 23 countries, and brought in $9.5 million to Seattleâ€™s economy.
– It takes an average of 105 hours to design, construct, and fit a costume for a lead singer.
The Italian opera, â€œAttilaâ€ will make its Seattle Opera premiere in January. The King of the Huns and his conquering hordes clash with cunning women warriors and a scheming Roman general in this work of historical fiction.
â€œThereâ€™s some very nasty, but fascinating characters,â€ says Jonathan Dean, director of public programs and media.
The last word:
People who have never been to the opera donâ€™t know what theyâ€™re missing, Dean says. â€œHearing unamplified voices, and seeing what human beings can do, shake the air, shake your ears â€“ itâ€™s amazing how moving it can be.â€