Star News Online
8 blueberries in popular culture
Published: Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 12:30 a.m.
Since the N.C. Blueberry Festival ripens today and Saturday in Burgaw, letâ€™s consider how this little fruit has embedded itself in our culture.
1. â€œBlueberry Hillâ€: The famous song (â€œI found my thrill … â€œ) was originally recorded by cowboy star Gene Autry in 1954, but its most famous rendition was Fats Dominoâ€™s 1954 rock â€™nâ€™ roll hit. In the ABC series â€œHappy Daysâ€ (1974-1984), young Richie Cunningham (Ron Howard) often broke into a rendition of â€œBlueberry Hillâ€ when he thought he was about to get lucky.
2. â€œLive on Blueberry Hillâ€: The 1970 concert is one of the most famous bootleg recordings of the rock group Led Zeppelin. On stage, the group breaks into a version of — you guessed it — â€œBlueberry Hill.â€
3. Boo-Berry: General Mills introduced the first blueberry-flavored cereal in 1973 as a cohort to Franken-Berry and Count Chocula. As far as we can tell, no blueberries were harmed, or even used, in the making of this product.
4. In Roald Dahlâ€™s novel â€œCharlie and the Chocolate Factory,â€ and in the two movie versions starring Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp, Violet Beauregarde is a greedy, gum-chewing brat who gets hers by being turned into a giant blueberry. We think she gets better, maybe, so long as the juicing room wasn’t too hard on her.
5. Bette Midler sang â€œBlueberry Pieâ€ (â€œso very necessaryâ€) on â€œSesame Street.â€ The song was later included on the showâ€™s â€œIn Harmonyâ€ LP.
6. Norah Jones, Jude Law and Natalie Portman starred in Hong Kong director Kar Wai Wongâ€™s 2007 film â€œMy Blueberry Nights,â€ about a heartbroken womanâ€™s odyssey across America. Blueberry pie is involved.
7. One of the settings for the video game â€œGrand Theft Auto: San Andreasâ€ is the town of Blueberry, in which buildings glow with a bizarre blue light. The â€œEpsilon Cultâ€ is somehow involved in this â€œBlueberry Mystery.â€
8. One of the cartoon character Strawberry Shortcakeâ€™s best friends is Blueberry Muffin. She works at Blueberry Books.