Check Out: Something To Say
Robert De Niro Height, Weight, Wife, Age, Biography & More
By Something To Say
Mister D: And yes, they still remain friends today. He has been spotted at her Spring Picnic for NYRP, and most recently sitting alone ithe Schubert Theatre to see Bette perform her magic in Hello Dolly!
SOME LESSER KNOWN FACTS ABOUT ROBERT DE NIRO
- Does Robert De Niro smoke? Yes
- Does Robert De Niro drink? Yes
- Robert De Niro has starred in over 100 films.
- He won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for playing the young Vito Corleone in The Godfather Part II.
- He won an Academy Award for Best Actor for his character Jake La Motta in the movie Ranging Bull.
- He has received two awards for his brilliant journey in Hollywood. He was honored with AFI Life Achievement Award in 2003 and the Golden Globe Cecil B. DeMille Awardin 2010.
- His parents divorced when he was three years old because his father revealed that he was gay. He was raised by his mother and his father lived within walking distance, so Robert was not deprived of his company too much.
- Robert was baptized against the will of his parents. His grandparents secretly took him to the Church while he was staying with them.
- He acted in a drama where he played the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz. This not only helped him to get rid of his shyness but he was also fixated by cinema. He dropped out of school at 16 to pursue acting.
- De Niro was the first person to win an Academy Award when he was mostly speaking a foreign language in the role. For his role in The Godfather, he spoke multiple Sicilian dialects. Marlon Brando was also one of the achievers in the same kind of category.
- De Niro had traveled his journey from an actor to a jury in 1987. He was part of the jury at 15th Moscow International Film Festival.
- He was honored at the 20th Moscow International Film Festival in 1997 for his contribution to cinema.
- The director of the movie Elia Kazan is all praises for Robert De Niro. He noticed on the sets of The Last Tycoon that he is meticulous and precise. He judges the roles inside out and is very imaginative. He also that he was the only one who would visit the scenes on a Sunday when everyone else was playing Tennis.
- Robert De Niro’s method of acting is “method acting” actually. He is very committed to his characters and does the best to bring out the best in himself and others.
- He gained 27 kg (60 lb) for his character Jake Lamotta in Raging bull and also learned boxing. For the movie Cape Fear he ground his teeth and lived in Sicily for The Godfather Part II. Worked as a cab driver for Taxi Driver.
- He emphasized on his character so much that Jerry Lewis actually got furious and forgot that there are cameras and came at De Niro’ s throat.
- De Niro is a strong supporter of the Democratic Party.
- After the 9/11 attacks, Robert De Niro started the Tribeca Film Festival to revitalize the lower Manhattan area.
- Robert De Niro is supporting the anti-vaccination movement for the people who suffer from the effects of vaccines. They also included Andrew Wakefield movie Vaxxed in the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival which was removed earlier due to pressure from the festival filmmakers.
- De Niro was the last man to see the comedian John Belushi alive when he visited him in a hotel at 3 AM and found him intoxicated with heroin and cocaine.
- Robert was diagnosed with prostate cancer and he underwent surgery at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in December 2003.
- Robert De Niro and Shawn Pen share the same birthday.
- He and director Martin Scorsese lived only a few blocks away from each other but they did not meet each other until later.
- He co-owns the celebrity favorite restaurants Nobu and Tribeca Grill.
- He made-up the famous scene of Bickle, which originally was just a quiet glaring the mirror scene.
- Robert De Niro was chosen out of a long list of actors who auditioned for the role of Vito Corleone. The list goes like – Ernest Borgnine, Edward G. Robinson, Orson Welles, Danny Thomas, Richard Conte, Anthony Quinn, and George C. Scott.
- In the movie Heat, the famous face-off scene between De Niro and Pacino was not rehearsed on Robert’s suggestion, to make their unfamiliarity seem genuine.
- De Niro performed a lot of scenes of the movie “The Deer Hunter” by himself.
- In the movie The Deer Hunter, when Christopher Walker spits in his face during The Russian Roulette scene, his reaction was real, because he wasn’t aware that it was part of the script.
- Robert broke one of Joe Pepsci’s ribs in the sparring scene in Raging Bull.
- De Niro was part of the impeccable director Sergio Leone’s last movie Once Upon a Time in America.