With all of the things Marilyn Monroe supposedly said, she might be better known as a motivational speaker than a sex symbol. The actress, who would have turned 89 years old Monday, tragically died at the age of 36.
Since then, fascination with Monroe has failed to subside– even fifty years after her untimtely death– and sheâ€™s been credited with more saying more than a dozen famous quotes. The only problem is that she didnâ€™t say most of the things people said she did, Buzzfeed and New York Magazine wrote. Some of the most common quotes and phrases have been shared below, along with the true author/speaker:
1.â€œIndependence is happiness.â€ —Susan B. Anthony
2. â€œBeing a sex symbol is a heavy load to carry, especially when one is tired, hurt and bewildered.â€ —Clara Bow said this about Monroe
3. â€œEverything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.â€ –Confucius
4. â€œI like to feel dumb. Thatâ€™s how I know thereâ€™s more thereâ€™s more in the world than me.â€ —Susan Sontag
5. â€œWanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.â€ —Kurt Cobain
6. â€œGive a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world.â€ –Bette Midler
7. â€œIâ€™m pretty, but Iâ€™m not beautiful. I sin, but Iâ€™m not the devil. Iâ€™m good, but Iâ€™m not an angel.â€ –a paraphrased quote by Alona Kimhi.
8. â€œItâ€™s better to be hated for what you are than love for what you are not.â€ —Andre Gide
9. â€œWell-behaved women rarely make history.â€ –Lauren Thatcher Ulrich
10. â€œWomen who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.â€ –Thomas Leary
Bonus: The following quote is one of the most popular ones that Monroe supposedly said. The main problem with it is that it didnâ€™t surface on the Internet until the last decade, and thereâ€™s no record that she uttered these words: â€œI’m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.â€