Starts At 60
Plumbing advice so good Bette Midler had to share it
July 25, 2017
Skip the Drano! 10 things your plumber wishes you would stop doing http://www.today.com/home/10-things-your-plumber-wishes-you-wouldn-t-do-t78011 …
Skip the Drano! 10 things your plumber wishes you would stop doing
From treating the toilet like a garbage to using toilet fresheners, plumbers share the top 10 things they wish you would stop doing.
And while plumbing advice may seem like a strange thing for the successful entertainer to pass along, it seems even the rich and famous still have real life problems, just like the rest of us.
Read below the tips from US plumbers taken from American television morning show Today’s website originally titled: 10 things your plumber wishes you wouldn’t do.
1. You reach for the Drano.
This is a big no-no. In fact, even the company who makes Drano says you shouldn’t use their product to unclog a toilet as it can “heat up” your pipes and toilet ultimately cracking a toilet’s porcelain bowl, softening PVC pipes and damaging old pipes. This is because Drano uses caustic chemicals to dissolve whatever is clogging a drain but can sit in the toilet until the clog dissolves.
2. You treat the toilet like a garbage can.
Tossing items labeled “flushable” down your toilet is one of the biggest mistakes people make. From feminine hygiene products to personal cleaning wipes, toilet scrubbers, make-up remover pads or even cat litter can ultimately cause a blockage as they don’t disintegrate quickly enough.
3. You try to tackle the plumbing problems yourself.
Just because you know the difference between a spanner and socket, a plumber you are not. Trying to fix a plumbing problem yourself will most likely cost you more than hiring a professional.
4. You have no idea where the main water valve is.
Find out and learn how to turn off your main water valve and emergency shut off valve in your house – if you don’t know how, most plumbers will show you at no charge.
5. You use drop in toilet fresheners.
No one wants unpleasant smells coming from their toilet but dropping a toilet freshener into your bowl can lead to major problems down the track as the tablets often contain chemicals that wear out working parts inside your toilet. They can also get stuck in the flush valve and prevent the toilet from flushing.
6. You forget to replace the hoses.
Unlike the required fire alarms fixed in homes, water hoses don’t give you a warning when they’re about to burst so to avoid potential flooding, change out your rubber hoses on washing machines and dishwashers every five years. The head of Washington Energy Service’s plumbing division in Seattle recommends using stainless steel on all water lines if possible.
7. You don’t have a leak protection system.
Installing one of these for a few hundred dollars now could save you thousands later as it will sound both an alarm and shut-off your main water should a leak occur.
8. Your hot water heater is outdated.
The average lifespan of a hot water heater is eight to 12 years so best to replace it before your old tank inevitably fails and floods your house.
9. You overload the garbage disposal.
Grease is best thrown into the bin or recycled for later use – don’t pour it down your garbage disposal as it will eventually solidify and clog the drain. Similarly, fibrous foods like celery and artichokes are bad, along with trying to shove large amount of green waste down the disposal – garbage should be fed slowly through while running cold water.
10. You fiddle with the water heater’s pressure valve.
This needs to be done by a professional because if the valve is not properly removed, pressure from the tank can emit scalding hot water which could cause serious burns and even property damage.
- Bette Midler Takes on Carol Channing’s Role in Broadway’s ‘Hello, Dolly!’ (bootlegbetty.com)
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame- Induct These Women: Bette Midler (bootlegbetty.com)
- Stars Rally Behind Adele After Grammys Tribute Re-Start: You Get Every ‘Do-Over You Ever Need’ (bootlegbetty.com)
- On This Day In History: Bette Midler’s “Bette Midler Sings The Rosemary Clooney Songbook” was released on September 30, 2003! | BootLeg Betty (bootlegbetty.com)
- Bette Midler – Grammy Awards 1975 | BootLeg Betty (bootlegbetty.com)