Paramount Network to Adapt ‘First Wives’ Club Into TV Series
Carli Velocci | October 2, 2017 @ 12:16 PM
Paramount Network announced Monday that it’s developing a new half-hour series based on the 1996 film “First Wives Club.”
Tracy Oliver, who most recently co-wrote the screenplay for the adult comedy summer hit “Girls Trip” is attached to the project. She became the first African-American woman to write a movie that grossed over $100 million domestically.
The series will have roughly the same plot as the film, which starred Diane Keaton, Bette Midler and Goldie Hawn as a trio of recently-divorced women who seek revenge on their husbands, who left them for younger women. In the meantime, the group also bonds together and finds strength to move forward thanks to their sisterhood.
Other recent credits include the webseries “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl,” in which she also stars, ABC comedy “The Neighbors” and the Starz drama “Survivor’s Remorse.” She is currently adapting Nicola Yoon’s best-selling young adult novel “The Sun is Also a Star” for MGM and Warner Bros.
Karen Rosenfelt, who produced movies in the “Twilight” saga and “The Devil Wears Prada” will executive produce. Dana Tuinier, Vice President of development and original programming at Paramount Network and TV Land, will serve as the executive in charge of production.
The Paramount Network — the recently rebranded Spike TV — debuts on Jan. 18, 2018. It’s already announced new original programming, including the TV reboot of “Heathers,” the drama “Yellowstone,” and the miniseries “Waco.”
- BetteBack October 19, 1996: Networks Bid For First Wives Club TV Series (bootlegbetty.com)
- BetteBack November 15, 1996: How Do The ‘First Wives’ Stars Feel About Men? (bootlegbetty.com)
- BetteBack March 2, 1997: Bette Midler Set To Appear At Oscars 1997 (bootlegbetty.com)
- BetteBack January 14, 1997: Bette Midler says weights, treadmill trimmed her down (bootlegbetty.com)
- Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn, Diane Keaton – You Don’t Own Me | BootLeg Betty (bootlegbetty.com)